Thursday, June 12, 2008

More About Teaching at Duksung

I just finished my first official semester teaching at Duksung University and it was really good for the most part. As I wrote in my last blog, for the first half of the semester I taught morning classes, which consisted of older students and community members. However, the second half of the semester, less students enrolled for those classes so I changed over and taught the freshmen dormitory English classes, where students came and stayed in the dorm for an intensive 3 week program. We taught three different classes, every night from 6:30 to 9:30.

The students were a lot of fun and we got to know them a lot better than other students. The first two classes, each an hour long, focused on listening and conversation, and the last class, our homeroom class, was more writing and fun things. The third week, or the last week of each session, there is a pop song contest, where each homeroom class prepares song and dance to an English pop song. My first group of students sang Skater Boy and my second group of students sang Wannabe by the Spice Girls. Without bragging, I have to say that my class WON both times! I actually got up on stage and sang with them...and sang a solo rap in one of the songs. The pop song contest is so much fun and all of the students enjoy it too.

I've gotten used to living in the dorm, and everything you need is right there. Work, meals, sleeping...you never have to leave! We have named our building the Space Station for this reason. I've made friends with a lot of the teachers, and everyone is really nice. Now I have almost two weeks off, then we will begin our summer schedule, which is different than what we've done before. They offer summer camps for middle school students, so I'll get to teach a different age group. We'll see how that goes!

I'm coming home in the next couple months so i've begun my job search. Not too easy to do from abroad! I miss things at home, and it's been over a year since i've been here. Me and Si are trying to decide what we want to do as far as work and family. We have some big decision to make, but I miss you all and can't wait to catch up with everyone when I get home!

No comments: